Friday, November 14, 2008

A Remarkable encounter

So, this seemed remarkable to me. I don't think that it necessarily is. In either October or November of 2002, I took the SAT. I'm leaning towards October, because I think it was after the Thanksgiving break that Catherine Green mysteriously knew my score. It turned out not to be such a mystery. But as I was leaving the testing center after completing the test, this other kid who'd also just taken it asked me about one of the questions on the math part, wondering what I'd put and if he'd done it right. My feeling is that I recognized this kid from the 1999 Central Utah Science and Engineering Fair as being a student at Meridian, a private school in Provo. I later had a one week class with him as I started at BYU, so maybe I found out he went to Meridian then. If you know Avi Giliadi, who was on my soccer team when I was in about 6th grade, this kid reminds me of Avi. I probably wouldn't recognize Avi any more, but I think of his name whenever I see this kid. I don't know this kid's name.

Here's where the remarkability index jumps through the roof:
So yesterday I took the GRE (also produced by ETS, and with a very similar format to the SAT, though they didn't have the writing section in 2002). And just now, I saw that same kid from Meridian. I didn't talk to him, he was just walking by outside. But it seemed remarkable that I would see him on today of all days.

0 comments: