Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Cry

Isaac Newton and Gottfried Leibniz – When Isaac Newton published his Law of Universal Gravitation in 1687, he immediately met with criticism from the great German mathematician Gottfried Leibniz. To Leibniz, the idea that one object can affect another object millions of miles away was totally absurd. He dismissed the whole idea as a "self-perpetuating miracle." Newton, who was a very devout man, replied in essence, "I don’t know how God made it that way, I only know that he did make it that way."

This is something I read today that brought me to tears. I knew it would when I chose to read it. It's funny how context can change everything. This is actually a paragraph from a talk my dad gave at my grandfather's funeral. I was in Argentina when he gave it, and he sent me a copy. For some reason this is perhaps the most powerful part of that talk for me.

I wrote a poem yesterday about a conversation with my dog on the eve of her death and an incident with my grandma shortly before her death, and maybe about other losses. This is what led me to read this today - I was looking to cry.

Christ said, "Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit."

0 comments: