Sunday, December 14, 2008

Stanley

So there's this kid Stanley, right, except that's not really his name because he's from Taiwan and just uses the name Stanley here in the states. He's in my ward, right, and he used to sing with me in the ward choir - meaning he came to a couple of choir practices and maybe even sang once with the choir in sacrament meeting, I'm not sure - but he stopped because he claims he can't sing. He's really not that bad, he just doesn't read music which makes it hard for him. But he's given me some good advice, like never send a girl flowers after just one or two dates, and buy the Taiwanese cookies in a pointed box at Chao's (I didn't - I think I may have found them, but they looked more like a diet biscuit than something I'd actually want to eat, so I decided maybe it was the wrong pointed box). He also told me that I look like a polygamist because I almost always wear button-up shirts. But today, for the second time, he told me that I did a good job singing with the choir - that my voice really stuck out. I tried to explain to him last time that in choirs, you're supposed to blend, so saying that my voice stuck out isn't really a compliment at all - more like a criticism. But he told me the same thing again today. He's probably right, but it's not my fault if every other guy in the choir can't hold a candle to my singing volume. I mean, the choir director told us all to sing a lot louder. Everyone else just sang a little louder, but I was obedient and sang a lot louder. Which led Stanley to compliment me on sticking out. He also said if he were to rob a bank, he'd need a driver and one person to hold the door. So if you read something about me being arrested as the door holder in a bank heist, you'll know why.

1 comments:

Caitlin Carroll said...

I like the button up shirts. And who said dressing like a polygamist was bad?? I dig those denim jumpers the women wear.